Writing on CAN-bus using low-can API

Dear all,

I'd like to do some tests with the low CAN capabilities of this project and all I've managed to do, as of now, is downloading and installing the latest release (6.0.0) on a Raspberry Pi 3, setting up a virtual can device and read/write from/to the bus with cansend and candump commands.

My biggest concern is now on writing on it using the low-can api, but for some reason I cannot manage to do so. Whenever I try to send a message of the form
low-can write { "signal_name": "engine.speed", "value": 1256}
what I get in response in the shell where I launched the service is

ERROR: [API low-can] Request argument malformed. Please use the following syntax: [/usr/src/debug/agl-service-can-low-level/6.90.0-r0/git/low-can-binding/binding/low-can-cb.cpp:530,write]

What am I doing wrong? Also, to be clear, I skipped the whole section about the definition of new signals as it would be enough for me to use the default ones.

Thanks in advance!
Nello