Re: autofs regression due to positive_timeout (valid timeout feature)

On 12/10/22 01:49, Ian Kent wrote:
> On 11/10/22 22:25, Alexandre Merlin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> TL;DR: Because of our use of a script-based map that dynamically creates exports
>> server-side based on user's rights, we are experiencing a regression since
>> commit 2f562f63a (autofs-5.1.6 - use a valid timeout in
>> lookup_prune_one_cache()). Creating an option for a configurable
>> positive_timeout, as mentioned in the commit comment, would be an efficient
>> solution for us.
>>
>> We are working for the Grid'5000 scientific testbed (see
>> https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Grid5000:Home). Our users can reserve nodes to make
>> their experiments, and from these nodes, they can access to different NFS
>> shares if they are granted access to use them.
>>
>> We use autofs to mount these filesystems on the fly, using a map based on a
>> script which checks that the user is granted, and which asks for the creation
>> of the appropriate export file on the corresponding NFS server.
>>
>> When the reservation is done, we signal the node's automount daemon using the
>> USR1 and HUP signals in order  to forget what was automounted by the user (as
>> compute nodes may be shared by different users, we want to ensure that the
>> previously mounted resource is no more in the running configuration).
>>
>> For this to work, our granting access script must be called each time a user
>> request to access a mounted point. But since the commit [2f562f63a] introducing
>> the positive timeout, when a user tries to access a mounted point, the cache is
>> used if a another user used the same mounted point within the positive timeout
>> timeframe (120s).
>>
>> So we need a way to disable the cache to be sure that our granting script is
>> called. It can be done for the NEGATIVE_TIMEOUT but not yet for the
>> POSITIVE_TIMEOUT.
>>
>> Since it is mentioned in the commit message that "The valid timeout probably
>> should become configurable at some point too", we wonder if it would be
>> possible to include it in a future release. You will find attached a patch
>> introducing this new option.
>
> Well, yes, that will be fine.
>

> The patch looks mostly fine too, I'll possibly change some of
>
> the wording but it should be otherwise unchanged.
>

> Are you ok with having your email address as the patch author
>
> since the patch will be uploaded to kernel.org when it's
>
> committed (publicly available) or should I set myself as the
>
> author (not my preferred choice)?

Using my email address as the patch author is fine.

> Anyway, I need to find time to make a new release so it
>
> shouldn't too long before it's available.

That's perfect.

> If you need me to commit the patch earlier than I otherwise
>
> would (such as your distro maintainer has upstream first policy
>
> on package changes) then say so and I'll commit it.

No need for that.

Regards,
Alexandre

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]