Re: do_mount_autofs_direct: failed to create mount directory ...

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 09:46:47AM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:

> > I'd love to see re-reads parse the map, save the new paths, parse the
> > removals, then add the new paths after removing/umounting removed
> > paths.
>
> It sounds simple to do but I think you would be surprised with the
> sort of difficulties I would encounter.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I never sent the email I wrote up before, I
started to realize it was far more complicated as you say.

> But, if that was done, what would be the policy if /prj/foo was in
> use, lazy umount /prj/foo mounts, ignore all changes at or below
> /prj/foo until it's no longer in use, or something else?

Yep, that's one of the issues I thought of too.  It's already an issue
we have with the current logic as well.  Usually we end up just tagging
the hosts for a reboot once any compute jobs on them are done, it's just
easier than fixing them by hand.

> I would be tempted to lazy umount things at or below /prj/foo, after
> all they would be using stale paths and will eventually end up in
> tears anyway, particularly if processes have open file handles on
> paths within the mount.
>
> Don't get me wrong, this does sound sensible and is something that
> needs to be fixed, there's just those cases that cause me pain time
> and time again that get in the road.
>
> The other problem is I might use features that are as yet unreleased
> (but in the current source tree) so that would complicate matters,
> OTOH I might not need the new features and, other than the in use
> policy, it might straight froward ...

It'd be great if it could be implemented at some point.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Sr. Staff IT Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]