Re: autofs 5.1.6 : segfault at startup

On Sat, 2020-12-05 at 12:38 -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 6:32 AM Ian Kent <raven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Removing the LDFLAGS option -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions makes the
> > problem go away.
>
> Related:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/autofs/msg01903.html
>
> In Ubuntu, -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions is a system-wide default and we
> remove it from the flags when building autofs in d/rules:
>
> # Taken from #1636781 as it's the same problem here. Also see
> #
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2018-June/040369.html
> ifeq ($(shell dpkg-vendor --derives-from Ubuntu && echo yes),yes)
>   export DEB_LDFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP = -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
> endif
>

> > I'm not sure why this happens, the best I could find is this:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7216973/is-there-a-downside-to-using-bsymbolic-functions/20729291

The unfortunate fact is that automount is a threaded application, and
it does allocate and initialize that configuration variable earlier
than any accesses from functions in lib/defaults.c, so the
configuration variable should not be NULL in any thread at some
later point.

Admittedly that initialization function return should be checked
but I don't see how that can cause this. The validity of this
variable shouldn't need to be checked elsewhere in the config.
handling functions.

It's fine to call this a bug in autofs but what is the bug, IDGT?
Is it certain the optimisation option isn't broken in some way?

Ian

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]