Re: How do I submit my patch?

On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 21:44 +0100, Andreas P wrote:
> I have made some changes to autofs userspace code repository.
>
> I am new to contributing to opensource and I have made some changes I
> to submit. My question is; How do i submit my code to you?
>
> I have made changes locally on git but im unsure how to correctly
> submit the code.

One way would be to send a pull request.

I haven't worked with pull requests so I'm not sure how that would
go but we could work through it if you wanted.

Another way (and this is currently what I'd prefer) is to post
patches to the list here for review.

That way they can be discussed and updated if necessary assuming
they are acceptable.

Patches posted to the list should be text only in-line in emails
with one patch per email as is common practice in most places that
take patches via a mailing list.

Patches should be kept simple so that what is being done can be
easily understood.

Larger overall changes should consist of a series of simpler
patches that each do sub-tasks to reach the end goal, if at all
possible.

How you end up with those patches depends on a few things, like
whether you have committed them to your local repo. or not and
if you use a utility to manage git patches (such as StGIT) or
not.

Let me know your situation and I'll try and offer you ways to
construct patches for posting.

Ian

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]