Re: NFS server (round-robin IP) times out: How does autofs behave? How can we fix that on the client side?

On Fri, 2018-12-21 at 11:02 +0100, Frank Thommen wrote:
> Dear all.
>
> @work we are struggling with NFS server timeouts and subsequentially
> missing mounts on the clients:
>
> [...]
> Dec 21 10:12:20 XXX kernel: nfs: server SRV not responding, timed out
> Dec 21 10:12:20 XXX automount[41879]: mount(nfs): nfs: mount failure
> SRV:/a/b/c on /d/e/f
> [...]
>
> The server timing out is a storage cluster with multiple IPs, served in
> round-robin mode.  Does autofs in cases of connectivity problems try to
> resolve the server name multiple times - and then maybe get a "good" IP
> - or is it "stuck" on the IP it get's when the initial mount request is
> made?

Quite apart from autofs I have seen (at least one case) problems with
servers that have multiple IP addresses when multiple IP addresses are
reachable from clients.

IIRC (and it was a long time ago now) if an RPC sent on interface and
a reply received on another things go bad. I don't think that happens
very often but when it does it's a problem.

I can't remember now but resolution involved not only ensuring the
routing table is correct but adding static arp entries in specific
places to ensure RPC request/reply actions are completed on the same
interface.

Ian

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]