expected behaviour for replicated servers

Hello

I can't see this in the manpages or README.replicated-server,
perhaps I can provide a patch...

I have this setup:

$ grep autofs /etc/nsswitch.conf
autofs: files nis

$ cat /etc/auto.master
/nfs  auto.nfs  -rw,hard,intr,vers=3
$ ypcat -k auto.nfs
foo  -ro,hard  boxa,boxb:/export/foo

Question:

If boxa has the NFS server running (so autofs ping works)
but does not export /export/foo,
what is the expected behaviour?

boxa and boxb are in different subnets, the client is in
the same subnet as boxa.

What I am seeing is that the automount fails completely
upon trying boxa. boxb is never tried (no request logged on boxb).
Looking at the autofs debug log, I can see
get_nfs_info called for boxa, twice in fact.
For boxb, only get_supported_ver_and_cost is called,
after which the daemon tries to mount the share from boxa.

What I was hoping to see is that the client also tries boxb
before giving up.

I tried fiddling with:
 the order (boxb,boxa:/export/foo)
 weights (boxb(3),boxa:/export/foo),
but none of this made any difference.

This happens to be  5.0.8-2+deb8u1 but that's probably irrelevant.

Kind regards
Vince