Re: documentation issues

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:09:50PM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:

> What is needed is a re-write of the user space <-> kernel space communication
> essentially to add readdir functionality.
>
> So that listing a directory would show the possible map mount points without the
> need to create the mount point directories.

Oh my god.. we need this!

We have huge direct maps here and with the changing of /etc/mtab to a
link to /proc/self/mounts things have gotten horrible.  We've worked
with suse to help speed up the start of autofs (it was taking 6+ hours
to simply start the first time due to how automount reads the mtab file,
stats paths, does the mkdir, etc).  But things like mkinitrd running
with our huge maps loaded can take 20-30 min due to all the parsing
different steps do for various filesystem checks. I've learned to stop
automount and do a full umount -t autofs -a before running something
like a zypper update with a kernel upgrade.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Sr. Staff IT Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com
Brian: "So enlighten us, what's your idea of the perfect man?"