Re: mount -oaddr=<ipaddr> ?

On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 20:55 -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm investigating an issue where our user updated from SLE11 to SLE12
> and the hostname for autofs mounts stopped appearing in the 'mount'
> output.  I know why this happens, what the reason for it being this
> way
> is, and that it can be overridden by setting the
> use_hostname_for_mounts=yes option (and the side effects).  Before I
> go
> and write up the patch implementing it, is there a reason why autofs
> doesn't pass the hostname in the mount source and specify the ip
> address
> using the -oaddr=<ipaddr> option?  Was this tried and found to be
> wanting somehow?

TBH I didn't even consider doing that.

But the daemon needs to be conservative in the options it uses because
maps may be used with other platforms and unknown or non-standard
options can cause mount failures.

While Linux mount.nfs(8) has the sloppy option (which maintainers seem
to try and remove from time to time) other platforms probably don't.

The addr=<address> option isn't listed as a valid option in nfs(5) and
neither is it listed in on-line Solaris documentation that I could find
so I'm not sure making the daemon use it is a good idea.

Maybe there's another way...

Note that I do need to be able to mount to a specific IP address while
specifying the host name in the mount command but don't know of a way todo it.