Re: Using wildcards in multi-mount maps

On Sun, 2015-05-31 at 20:05 +0200, Frank Thommen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are wildcards within multi-mount maps supposed to work?

Good question.

> I have the following entry in our maps:
>
> /etc/auto.master (local):
>     /mymount yp:mymap --ghost
>

> Indirect NIS map for /mymount:
>     $ ypmatch webapps mymap
>     /*         -timeo=30                   server:/local/exports/&

Yeah, that can't work.

The wildcard must be a single character at the start of the key, no
other characters can be used.

So, no that can't be used in multi-mount map entries.

Keep in mind that for multi-mount map entries to work the offset paths
must be known when the containing mount is performed so adding
functionality like this isn't actually doable.

The substitution is based on replacing the whole key, autofs can't take
part of a key and use it for substitution either.

What's more doing so would introduce the the need to handle multiple
occurrences of the wildcard with matching of where to substitute each
one and that isn't covered by the Sun map format AFAIK.

If this type of extended key pattern matching is really needed you could
have a look at the amd map format. I haven't implemented the regex key
matching functionality of am-utils in autofs but the variable length key
matching combined with wildcard entries might be sufficient.

Note that I also haven't implemented the am-utils multi-mount like map
type either and the way they are specified in amd map format maps
doesn't lend itself to this sort of wildcard handling either.