Re: NFSv4: Unable to mount, nonsensical error

On Sat, 2014-09-27 at 16:27 +0200, Andreas Reis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to automount a NFSv4 share to /mnt/bar from Host A via a
> direct map, but can't get it to work no matter what.
>
> Mounting it manually with the very same options works perfectly fine.
>
> auto.master:
> /-     /etc/autofs/bar.nfs    --timeout=15 --ghost
> /foo   /etc/autofs/auto.nfs   --timeout=15
>
> The second line is an executable map for NFSv3 shares from Host B. That
> one works as intended. However…
>
> fs.nfs:
> /mnt/bar -fstype=nfs4,rw,soft,async,_netdev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
> 192.168.1.144:bar
> (on one line)
>
> … fails. Instead, the folder is still created, but accessing it yields
> "No such file or directory".
>
> Meanwhile automount prints a nonsensical …
>
> "validate_location: expected colon delimeter not found in location
> 192.168.1.144:bar"
>
> … which from an error path (with a typo) in parse_sun.c's
> validate_location that was added in autofs 5.0.6.
>
> Maybe the person who added it missed that unlike mount requests for
> NFSv3 shares, NFSv4 ones need not (depending on the server, must not)
> have a "/" after the ":"?

It is surprising that I'm not aware of this "convention" since a simple
search turns up results from quite a few years past.

Unfortunately there are a number of other places where this will cause
problems and some won't be at all straight forward to change.

Ian