Re: autofs linux 3.8.13 and "Too many levels of symbolic links"

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 17:02 +0100, Donald Buczek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are trying to switch from amd to autofs. After successfully testing
> and rolling it out to the first several machines, from time to time we
> get directories stuck with "Too many levels of symbolic links" on a path
> which should be automounted via an indirect map.
>
> linux 3.8.13
> autofs 5.0.8
>
> As an example, here is data from a system where the path /scratch/tmp is
> stuck:
>
> http://www.molgen.mpg.de/~buczek/autofs-demo/
>
>    auto.master    # master map
>    auto.scratch    # indirect map for /scratch
>    autofs            # from /etc/defaults
>    typescript       # shows the problem and a bit of gdb dump of kernel
> structures
>    typescript.l     # same with line numbers for reference
>    gdb-macros     # macros used in the gdb session
>
>  From typescript.l , line 122ff it is clear, that /scratch/tmp is not
> currently mounted. On the other hand, the gdb session finds the dentry
> of /scratch/tmp which has d_flags 0x70080 (line 99,120). This is
> DCACHE_MANAGE_TRANSIT+DCACHE_NEED_AUTOMOUNT+DCACHE_MOUNTED+DCACHE_RCUACCESS
> with DCACHE_MOUNTED indicating that there should be something mounted
> there(?). I think, this state is faulty and necessarily leads to ELOOP
> during path walk. Probably the situation is known by the gurus here?

Yes, I can see how DCACHE_MOUNTED being set would lead to ELOOP in this
case. But, having been there before too, I couldn't see any way the
DCACHE_MOUNTED would not be cleared on umount. Also, DCACHE_MOUNTED is
only changed within the VFS and isn't changed very often. It can't see
how a code path that should lead to one of those changes doesn't go
there.

I'll have another look .....

Ian