Re: autofs4 module reference count

On 04.05.2012 16:48, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 09:32 +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Ping?  Any news on this?  Unfortunately I
>> don't have much understanding in kernel
>> internals to look at this...
>
> I haven't looked at it yet.

Oh.  No problem, I just wanted to be sure if my email actually
made to somewhere..  We all have our time constraints... :)

Especially now when the main issue with autofs has been fixed
(in a very interesting way!), this refcount issue becomes much
less urgent.  It was very annoying for me to have to reboot
each time I wanted to try a new variant of autofs4.ko with
another version of the fix.

> I don't think it is the module, most likely something elsewhere.
> How have you established that the count is negative?

$ lsmod | grep auto
autofs4                22422  2147483647

This is on my system with last fix from Linus, I wanted to
check behavour of some other program with pre-fixed version
but wasn't able to and had no time to reboot, and later was
distracted by something else.

That happens on normal /etc/init.d/autofs stop.  When I kill
the daemon manually with -9 and umount the filesystem, the
usage count becomes 0 wich is how it should be.

Note that 2147483647 is not really -1, it is 0x7fffffff, so
it might not be negative after all.  But this definitely
prevents the module from being unloaded.

Thank you!

/mjt