Re: Multiple maps for one indirect mount point

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 11:12 -0400, Leonardo Chiquitto wrote:
> Ian, list
>
> I'd appreciate if you could clarify whether the configuration below is
> supported by AutoFS or just a misuse of a feature.
>
> It is known that you can't add the same mount point twice in auto.master:

Yes, that's correct.

>   # /etc/auto.master:
>   /test		file:/etc/auto.test1
>   /test		file:/etc/auto.test2
>
>   # /etc/auto.test1:
>   aaaa	server:/aaaa
>
>   # /etc/auto.test2:
>   bbbb	server:/bbbb
>
> The automounter will ignore the duplicated entry:
>
>   automount[13975]: Starting automounter version 5.0.5, master map auto.master
>   automount[13975]: using kernel protocol version 5.01
>   automount[13975]: ignoring duplicate indirect mount /test

Yes, duplicates are checked for.

Very early in version 5 multiple entries were allowed until I realized
that it wasn't allowed in other Unix automount implementations and since
like behavior was the goal it was disallowed.

> However, you can be creative and modify the configuration to make
> AutoFS accept it:
>
>   # /etc/auto.master:
>   /test		file:/etc/auto.test
>
>   # /etc/auto.test:
>   +file:/etc/auto.test1
>   +file:/etc/auto.test2
>
>   # /etc/auto.test1:
>   aaaa	server:/aaaa
>
>   # /etc/auto.test2:
>   bbbb	server:/bbbb
>
> This seems to work just fine, even in the presence of duplicated keys
> in /etc/auto.test1 and /etc/auto.test2 (in this case, AutoFS seems to
> always use the key from the first map). I believe it IS supported, but I
> wanted to make sure before I spend more time investigating a bug report.

Yes, that's the way they are supposed to work.
Included maps should be used instead of using multiple map entries.

It is also what should be used to convert old style multi-map master map
entries into the new syntax.

Ian