Re: Not working on ATI SB750 as of debian's 1.0.0.rc15 (updated: raid1, 2.6.32, debian's 1.0.0.rc16)

Gonna have another stab at this, as I would really like to have working multiOS raid. Doesn't work yet as of rc16 and 2.6.32.

The trouble is that metadata is only found in one of the drives, so raid0 can't be activated and raid1 appears as degraded, although in windows (obviously) it works fine, and the bios shows it as functional.

I believe it might be because of slightly different drive sizes, although I can't really confirm it as my two only identical drives are already in use in a different raid1.

In my tests:

sda is my main root drive, sdd is an usb drive, sdb is a western digital of 250G and sdc is a maxtor of 251G (as shown in the bios). Neither of gigabyte boundary options (on/off) make a difference, although in these tests it is off, which is not the default. And I get the same results with raid1 and raid0, although this test is with raid1.

# dmraid -ay -f pdc -vvv -d
NOTICE: checking format identifier pdc
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hda
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdb
NOTICE: /dev/sdd: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdc: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdc: pdc metadata discovered
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: pdc     discovering
DEBUG: _find_set: searching pdc_dihbhdgahc
DEBUG: _find_set: not found pdc_dihbhdgahc
DEBUG: _find_set: searching pdc_dihbhdgahc
DEBUG: _find_set: not found pdc_dihbhdgahc
NOTICE: added /dev/sdc to RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc"
DEBUG: checking pdc device "/dev/sdc"
ERROR: pdc: wrong # of devices in RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc" [1/2] on /dev/sdc
DEBUG: set status of set "pdc_dihbhdgahc" to 4
DEBUG: checking pdc device "/dev/sdc"
ERROR: pdc: wrong # of devices in RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc" [1/2] on /dev/sdc
DEBUG: set status of set "pdc_dihbhdgahc" to 4
RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc" already active
INFO: Activating mirror raid set "pdc_dihbhdgahc"
NOTICE: discovering partitions on "pdc_dihbhdgahc"
NOTICE: /dev/mapper/pdc_dihbhdgahc: dos     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/mapper/pdc_dihbhdgahc: dos metadata discovered
DEBUG: _find_set: searching pdc_dihbhdgahc1
DEBUG: _find_set: not found pdc_dihbhdgahc1
NOTICE: created partitioned RAID set(s) for /dev/mapper/pdc_dihbhdgahc
RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc1" already active
INFO: Activating partition raid set "pdc_dihbhdgahc1"
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc"
DEBUG: freeing device "pdc_dihbhdgahc", path "/dev/sdc"
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "pdc_dihbhdgahc1"
DEBUG: freeing device "pdc_dihbhdgahc1", path "/dev/mapper/pdc_dihbhdgahc"

I can attach or upload the generated dmraid.pdc folder if anyone wants (don't really want to overload the archives). However it does only contain sdc.xxx files, and nothing about sdb. I can provide dd of the required sectors of the other drive as well (just tell me which ones are!).

Just in case I forced a synchronize with the raidxpert web interface from windows, which already completed, without any difference.

The geometry of the drives (which are slightly different, as the bigger one is older):

root@blackie:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x85311ed9

/dev/sdb1               1       30273   243161088    7  HPFS/NTFS
root@blackie:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 251.0 GB, 251000193024 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30515 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x85311ed9

/dev/sdc1               1       30273   243161088    7  HPFS/NTFS

If anyone should be interested in making ataraid work in SB750 southbridge, just contact me and I will follow instructions for making the tests in the hardware. I have the two drives referred above available for this testing, and might perhaps get another 250G and an additional smaller one if required for any other raid types; so long, I am only trying raid0 and 1 with two of them. I will repeat the test ASAP with the *other* drive (which is exactly 250 IIRC).

Just in case it helps:

jisakiel@blackie:~$ uname -a
Linux blackie 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 7 17:44:12 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
jisakiel@blackie:~$ apt-cache policy dmraid
dmraid:
  Instalados: 1.0.0.rc16-3
  Candidato: 1.0.0.rc16-3
  Tabla de versión:
 *** 1.0.0.rc16-3 0
        990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.0.rc14-7 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

Motherboard is an Asus M3A78-T with the latest (1701) bios; I can provide as well the raid bios version if needed. SB is the SB750.

Thanks for the attention and sorry for the long email; I would really like to troubleshoot this.