Re: Fedora 11 and dmraid with intel - problems

On 11/10/2009 06:16 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

Newer dmraid releases may handle the rebuild case better.  However, I
suspect you should be able to rebuild it with mdadm via a Live USB/CD
image.  This should allow you to get the array back into a state that
will make the dmraid in your Fedora 11 environment happy.

0/ If you haven't already, get a backup of your one good drive in case
something goes wrong with the following steps.
1/ Boot to a Live USB/CD image with a recent version of mdadm (>= 3.0).
2/ Make sure that dmraid has not assembled the disks
3/ mdadm -A /dev/md/imsm /dev/sda # add the one good drive to an 'imsm
container'
4/ mdadm -I /dev/md/imsm # start the container
5/ cat /proc/mdstat # verify that your raid volume was started in degraded mode
6/ mdadm --add /dev/md/imsm /dev/sdb # add the new disk to the
container which starts the rebuild
7/<wait for rebuild to complete>
8/ mdadm -E /dev/sda # dump the metadata and check that it is no
longer marked 'Degraded'/'Rebuild'
9/ mdadm -Ss # stop the array
10/ Boot back into Fedora 11 and let dmraid assemble the array normally.

I ended up nuking the fakeraid and reinstalled using Linux software raid.

Now I have two partitions: one for /boot, one for an LVM(root and swap). Both in RAID1.

Thanks for the response though. If I, or anyone else, considers dmraid (on Intel OROM 9.5) in the future, it may be useful.

Thanks,
Michael