Re: pdc type metadata location on disk

Hi Heinz,
Since I wrote that I noticed that the drives that it fails to find the metadata on have the total number of 512-byte sectors not divisible by 63. So you could have dmraid do a search if it recognizes that case. I am pretty sure that on large 48-bit lba modern drives this will be the case where the divisor used by the Promise controller to find the last cylinder to store it's metadata is always 63, and it's a holdover from the days when the C/H/S geometry really mattered, but promise decided to keep their metadata backwards compatible with the old controllers. Thanks for your response.
-James

Subject : Re: pdc type metadata location on disk

Date : Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:20:36 +0200

From : Heinz Mauelshagen <heinzm@xxxxxxxxxx>

To : "ATARAID (eg, Promise Fasttrak, Highpoint 370) related discussions" <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

James,

thanks for the heads up.

We do have heuristics for a bunch of possible PDC metadata offsets but

things like HPA and new offsets found keep adding to the given list.

I've already thought of scanning the end of each device for any PDC

signature rather than going by finite list of possible assumed ones.

Probably adding such approach to a later release...

Regards,

Heinz