Re: Partition Filename Number Mismatch with Minor Number

Luca Berra wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 02:44:47PM -0600, Curtis Gedak wrote:
QUESTION
========

1) Would this problem be considered a bug?

   It would seem to me that the partition minor numbers should match
   the last number of the partition filename.  That is, at least when
   using the following formula:

    last number of partition filename ==
         partition minor number % device minor number

i'd say it can be considered a bug in libparted

L.

Thank you for the response Luca.

I had to think on this one for a while.

In the case where a /dev/mapper device name ends in number, there exists more than one way that each partition will be named.

Command   Sample Partition #1 Name in /dev/mapper Directory
dmraid    isw_cjbdddajhi_Vol01
kpartx    isw_cjbdddajhi_Vol0p1

Based on the fact that there might be more than one name, I assume that more than one partition minor number will be required. Using this logic, libparted would the be tool that would need to handle this situation.

Regards,
Curtis