getting a software RAID 5 to work on Ubuntu 8.10?

Howdy,

I just installed Unbuntu 8.10 as my first major adventure in linux, intending to replace Windows XP for my desktop. I have a fakeRAID 5 array set up in windows, but I'm having trouble accessing it under Ubuntu. I'm using the ICH8/9 controller on my motherboard. The File Browser shows the 2000 GB media, but when try to use it, I get a message that says:

Cannot mount volume
Detailes: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0). Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a SofrtRAID/FakeRAID hardware. ... If you have SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first you must activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvida_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for the details.

I guess my first concern is that 'dmraid -l' gives me "isw     : Intel Software RAID (0,1,10)", which makes me believe that Raid 5 isn't supported for my Intel fakeRAID. But comments on this list appear to indicate otherwise.

dmraid -r  doesn't give me much hope either, telling me that there is an untested metadata version on the drives:
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sde
/dev/sde: isw, "isw_bjidccfjfa", GROUP, ok, 976773165 sectors, data@ 0

if I run  dmraid -ay anyway, it appears to say that i have TWO active RAID sets. that confuses me a bit...
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sde
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sdd
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sdc
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sdb
isw: untested metadata version 1.2.04 found on /dev/sda
RAID set "isw_bjidccfjfa_Volume0" already active
RAID set "isw_bjidccfjfa_Volume01" already active

and sure enough, both of those appear in my /dev/mapper directory
/dev/mapper$ ls
control  isw_bjidccfjfa_Volume0  isw_bjidccfjfa_Volume01

With my general linux ignorance, I'm not sure if i'm missing somehting basic, something advanced, or if this set up simply won't work. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,
Rob

"To ask a question is but a moment's embarrassment. Not to ask a question, however, is a lifetime of ignorance"