RE: dmraid -r -E bus error

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:23 -0700, Hall, Eric R wrote:
> >> http://www.redhat.com/archives/ataraid-list/2007-June/msg00037.html
> >
> >I've had a look at the patch and I admit that the source I'm working
> >from doesn't contain this change and since I wasn't subscribed to the
> >list at that time I don't know the history.
> >
> >It's not obvious, from that message (or messages in the thread index),
> >what the patch actually does to prevent a SEGV and I don't see how this
> >deals with the issue I'm trying to resolve, the SEGV when writing the
> >meta data.
> >
> >Can someone explain the intent of the patch in the message above
> please?
>
> The patch above applies to isw_read_extended().  The segfault occurs
> when the metadata is smaller than 512 bytes when it tries to remove
> metadata from the second disk in the set.  The patch allocates an extra
> sector even when the metadata is only one sector long.

Yep, I get it now, thanks.

The patch simply ensures that sufficient memory is allocated during the
read for isw_write to function correctly, instead of not doing the copy
up as I did. So it should also resolve the issue.

Oh well, I guess whoever decides what goes in to the release tarball has
a small decision to make.

Ian