Re: LVM on dmraid breakage

Luca Berra wrote:
Two things come to mind
1) dmraid should use ioctl BLKPG_DEL_PARTITION, to clean up any eventual
partition table on component devices

How will this play out in terms of udev plug events? Can it be relied on that udev will process the disk first, before the partitions? If the partitions are deleted during the processing of the disk, does udev still try to process their add events? Will it then process the delete events? If so then this is problematic.

2) lvm tool filter could be modified to check if a device has been
already claimed by device-mapper.

something along the lines of:
ioctl DM_LIST_DEVICES
while (...)
 ioctl DM_TABLE_DEPS

the above would probably require a cache.

I'd rather not see it that tightly coupled to dm. I was thinking perhaps of something involving udev attributes so that udev would know not to run pvscan on that device. Though it looks like pvscan also needs reworked so it plays nice with udev, being called to scan a given device as detected rather than looking for all well known physical device names in /dev.