Re: Raid5 on new kernels.

Hi Anders,

The raid456 kernel module is part of the software raid used my mdadm.  The RAID 5 support in the isw driver is still under development by Intel.  You may be able to get it to work if you get the latest isw source from cvs but I do not think it is ready for production yet.

If I remember right: when I installed Fedora 7 anaconda had a newer version of isw then the system did when it booted normally or it would have been that dmraid was configured better in anaconda than the regular kernel.

I ended up not configuring the drives for RAID in the bios by setting them to AHCI mode using software RAID (mdadm).  Make sure that you remove the RAID labeling from the disks before trying to use software RAID.  You can remove the labels with the bios or using the dmraid utility... I found that the dmraid utility does a better job.

The main reason I ended up using mdadm for my system is that the isw driver that came with Fedora 7 would recognize and configure RAID 0+1 or mirrored in my ICH8R chipset but the isw driver would not rebuild a new disk when I replaced it.  I needed to use RAID 5 and did not have enough 500 gig disks to test a cvs version of isw in RAID 5 mode.

I do not know if a working isw driver for Intel RAID will preform better than mdadm RAID with the disks in AHCI mode but I feel safer using the well tested mdadm software RAID.

  --jim