RE: create metadata from DMRAID

There is already a switch -f for format handler. Also, user cannot give
xxxxx of isw_xxxxx.

-----Original Message-----
From: ataraid-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ataraid-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Darrick J. Wong
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 12:19 PM
To: ATARAID (eg, Promise Fasttrak, Highpoint 370) related discussions
Subject: Re: create metadata from DMRAID

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:23:08AM -0700, Kulkarni, Sunil A wrote:
> Is .write being used by any format handlers currently ? If .write is
> used to write the complete metadata, then it can be used to create the
> metadata also, right ?

Last time I looked, the asr handler uses .write when reconfiguring
RAID1 sets.

And no, create should be in its own function because writing and
creating are orthogonal operations--create happens once; write happens
any time you reconfigure the array.

> Also, instead of 'dmraid -C isw_xxxxxx_raidSet1 .....'
> How about  'dmraid -C VolumeName ...'
> And then isw can prepend isw_xxxxxx to the volume name to make
> isw_xxxxx_VolumeName
> This way, different format handlers can make up their own string and
one
> need not give isw specific string from the command line (since
isw_xxxxx
> is generated internally by isw anyway).

How do you specify which handler format you want?  Separate switch, or
embedded in the volume name?  Also, some raids let you specify a
volumename; others only provide for a bunch of hex numbers.

--D