sata mirror with missing hard drive; fedora6 wont boot

Ok, first off I think I'm way outa my league posting here.  I'm
a fedora user, currently using fedora 6.  I have one of those
FakeRaid systems, specifically NVidia raid on an Asus M2V-MX
motherboard.  So I thought I'd give it a try, which by the way
went smooth as silk to setup a Raid1 mirror and install FC6.  I
was so happy!

Problem is, I cant leave well enough alone.  I just had to know
if it would work if I unplugged a drive.  I did this while linux
was up and running, froze the system for a few seconds then gave
me a bunch of errors on the console.  Fine, though, I thought so
long as it keeps running I'm ok.  Only it didnt, I listed a
directory and the thing finally hung.

So then I thought, dont be discouraged, lets just reboot with
one drive missing and see if a "degraded" raid mirror would boot
and FC6/dmraid would do the right stuff.  Nope, hangs almost
immediately after loading initrd.  Looks like its unhappy cause
it knows one of the physical drive is missing.

So now I'm thinking I just dont know what I should be expecting
out of a mirror raid, or maybe there is a way to tell the kernel
to load with a degraded mirror by editing the kernel line?  I've
been reading all sorts of stuff and hunting for some guidance
but nothing so far.  So I found this list, and well, you know
what follows when that happens e.g. a newby post.

So please please please, could someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks!
Bob