[RE]Promise FastTrak66 - dmraid doesn't recognize striped array on pair of Maxto

Hi Bob,
I ran into a similar problem with the same controller on certain older drives. The problem has to do with the way the fasttrak bios sees the drive size and geometry as opposed to the way linux sees it as reported by the old drive's firmware. Normally the drive metadata sector is located on the last cylinder of the drive, about 63 sectors before the end. Anyway you can probably get it to work if you look through the data on your drive to find out what sector the metadata is on, and then modify the dmraid source (pdc.c?) to add it to the list of sector offsets from the end of the disk to try.
-James

Subject : Promise FastTrak66 - dmraid doesn't recognize striped array on pair of Maxtor 51536U3

Date : Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:43:15 -0700 (PDT)

From : Bob Stewart <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>

To : ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx

The subject says it all. I have no problem with a mixed pair

of 80GB drives in a striped array, but I can't get this pair

of old Maxtor 15GB drives recognized. I know they work

though, I was able to load Win2K to the array and boot it.

It's not critical, but it would be nice if I could get this working.

Debian Etch - custom 2.6.20.3

dmraid - 1.0.0.rc13

device-mapper - 4.11.0

Bob