Re: lost everything?

Dang, I'm sorry, I meant RAID5...doh...

I figured that losing 2 disks (or their common PCI card) in a RAID5 would be fatal. Is that not so?

Well, it does seem that it wasn't fatal, since a '/sbin/mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md2 --scan' did the trick :D

Max.

Thorsten Jungblut wrote:
Hi,

I had a 4 disk pata RAID0 with 1 sata spare.
The 4 disk pata array was made using 2 PCI card, 2 drives per card.
It seems that one of the cards was loose, and so I lost 2 drives at once.
Please tell me I haven't just lost everything on the array...

If a card is lost, that doesn't mean the drives are defect now? You only need to get a new card? If thats true, no data is lost at all, you just can not access it until you get a new card.

If one DRIVE fails, all data in a RAID0 is lost.

A spare disk doesn't make sense for RAID0 since if a drive fails, the array contents are lost and there is nothing that can be written to the spare disk!

Consider using a RAID5 over all disks without a spare. A RAID5 can handle a single disk failure without data loss.

A RAID5 consisting of n disks has n-1 the capacity of a single disk, the same as a RAID0 with a "spare".

Or use RAID0+1. A RAID0+1 consisting of n disks has the capacity of n/2 disks but it can handle a single disk failure and in some cases even more disk failures depending on what disks fail.

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten