RE: Unable to discover isw raid with 1.0.0-rc3

Title: RE: Unable to discover isw raid with 1.0.0-rc3

> > > So is dmraid intended for use with sysfs only now? If not,
> > how can I get
> > > it to obtain the correct sector count when "carrying on
> > with /dev/"? I
> > > mean, should I do something outside of dmraid to achieve this?
> >
> > Yes, sysfs is meant to be used in 2.6.
> > Is there a special reason, why you can't use it ?
>
> I don't know how to use sysfs. Whenever I run dmraid, it always says
> something about not finding the sysfs mount point and carrying on with
> /dev/. I've been running SuSE 9.1 with a 2.6.7 kernel, if
> that makes any
> difference. I'm about to try a 2.6.8 kernel now.
>
> Guess I'll google for sysfs. Any pointers from anyone most welcome.

It looks like dmraid doesn't find sysfs mount point on my system because there is no sysfs entry in /etc/mtab. I don't know when and how this table gets populated. I'd love to have sysfs automatically added to it, if someone can tell me how. For now I'm manually adding the entry after each reboot. Yuck!

One related question here: are /etc/mtab and sysfs available in early-userspace? Or does dmraid use another mechanism in that environment?

So now the metadata can be properly discovered, but I get this error message "isw: Error finding disk table slot for /dev/sda". Not sure if this is a big deal, but the problem is caused by trailing spaces in the serial string obtained by get_scsi_serial() in lib/device/scan.c. Other than that, it works great.

I tried the 2.6.8.1kernel from kernel.org. It also has the issue with missing sysfs entry (not sure if that's kernel-related), but works fine otherwise.

Cheers,
Jane