Re: 3ware 7000-2 boot problems

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 02:57, Dave Theodore wrote:
> I am trying to get a 7000-2 card working with a RAID1 boot device where
> the only disks are connected to the RAID controller and am not having
> much luck

> I created kickstart boot media and installed the machine from
> kickstart.  Everything is happy once the install is complete, before the
> first reboot.  I am able to access the RAID volume and make some minor
> tweaks.  Once I reboot and boot from the disk, I get a kernel panic with
> the following message:
>
> ---begin console messages---
> <not so important stuff deleted>
> 3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.036.
> scsi0 : Found a 3ware Storage Controller at 0xe800, IRQ: 27, P-chip: 1.3
> scsi0 : 3ware Storage Controller
> blk: queue f7ba1e18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
>   Vendor: 3ware   Model: Logical Disk 0   Rev: 1.0
>   Type:     Direct-Access                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> blk: queue f7ba1e18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> Attached a scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 156326400 512-byte hdwr sectors (80039 MB)
> Partition check:
>  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 >
> Mounting /proc filesystem
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
> ---end console messages---
>
> My config is as follows:
>
> - Redhat 7.2 distro with 2.4.22 custom kernel  I also installed the
> RH7.2 stock 2.4.20-20.7 kernel to rule out my kernel as a source of problems
> - Tyan S2518 motherboard with Serverworks ATA controller onboard
> - Lilo bootloader
> - 3ware Escalade 7000-2 RAID controller
> - 3w-xxxx.o module that comes with the kernel/kernel source
>
> I did some Google searching and  I could not find anything that
> specifically refers to this. I did add disk=/dev/sda and bios=0x80 to
> lilo.conf to tell lilo which disk to use, but it didn't make any
> difference.  I also changed the fstab and lilo.conf references to the
> disk labels to the proper /dev/sdaX in the event that lilo was somehow
> confused by the labels.  Anyone experience this one?  Any suggestions
> are greatly appreciated.

You should either do a mkinitrd --preload=3w-xxxx.o or just static
link your 3w driver in the kernel.
Try grub in stead of lilo.
Toss 7.2 and go for 7.3 or go for 9, 7.2 is seriously outdated
I have had issues with 3w past 2.4.18 regarding booting/installing,
but only on some machines, Tyan has been good to me, never had
trouble on those.
Are you running devfs? I have no experience with it, but you
might consider going for static devices, even just to see if
this might be the cause of your trouble.

Hope this helps.

Homme