Re: Summary of position for PDC20276, RH7.3, 2.4.20

Dave Anderson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samuel Flory" <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The ide driver doesn't really support hot swaping so you will have to
reboot to replace a drive. You can start a rebuild of an array in the
background with the mdtools.

Does this mean the only real thing I get over the ataraid is the fact that it doesn't crash on a disk crash? Is there any likelihood of ataraid not crashing on disk crash in the near future, or is it more fundamental.

In summary, with what I have, is md the most high-available solution?

Short of using a raid controller like a 3ware card, and some sort of hotswap ide backplane. I'd say yes. With a 3ware card you'd still need to "down the port" (aka remove the drive in 3ware speak) via 3dm or tw_cli, replace the drive, and renable the port (aka add the drive in 3ware speak).

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)