Re: pdc202xx_new, ataraid, pdcraid

> > root@argo-cd root # modprobe pdcraid
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-p3/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/pdcraid.o: init_module: No
> > such device
> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> > including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-p3/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/pdcraid.o: insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-p3/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/pdcraid.o failed
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-p3/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/pdcraid.o: insmod pdcraid
> > failed
> >
> > I don't really understand when I need ataraid/pdraid. Should I need them
> > if
> > I want to use md-tools linux RAID1 or (as I suspect) I only need it if I
> > want to use hardware raid?

I dicovered  that I just needed to compile pdc202xx_new *into* the
kernel. After compiling it into te kernel I could see all disks *and*
modprobe pdcraid just worked flawlessly. And YES: devfs support is there so
I could see all devices even /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc

> #1)The promise controller doesn't do hardware raid.  All raid occurs in
> the driver.  The only hardware support is some bios code that allows you
> to boot off a raid 0 array.

  So under linux all the (raid) job is accomplished by pdcraid/ataraid?

> #2)You don't want any promise raid configured for linux md raid.

  you mean I will not use a raid1 array defined into promise as base for
  md. If this is what you mean I perfectly agree/undertsand

  or you mean it wouldn't be reasonable to use (partitions from) single
  disks (hdg, hde) to create an array w/ md-tools?

> #3)Linux software raid is better than promise's raid driver.

  here you are comparing "Linux software raid" = pdcraid with
  "promise's raid" = ft.o precompiled?

  FINAL

  just to be sure, (i'm not always that *slow* ;-) since everything seems to
  work (I already made a trial installation on /dev/ataraid/disc0), is that
  a suggested way to use this controller?

  Linux doesn't seem to see a lot of difference between BIOS setting ATA or
  RAID. It sees the array even if I set it to ATA. Should I leave to RAID?

  Very last thing: when using md-raid, i try to put disks on different
  controllers. Should I take such a care width pdc20276 too?

thanks for you time
sandro
*:-)

--