From: ataraid-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ataraid-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Alobar
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 2:11 AM
To: ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Promise Fasttrack 133

After trying RedHat 7.2 and 7.3 without success, I'm now trying to install
Suse 8.2 on a Fasttrack Promise 133 Raid1 array. The system boot on the
array, where there is already Win2k installed.

I first tried to install Linux on another partition of the same array and,
more recently, I have tried on a different hard disk under a normal IDE
controller. In both cases I obtained the same answer, as follow.

I'm using the instruction contained on Suse website at the page:
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/tsaupe_promise_8.2.html

Following these instructions all is ok until, after installation, I try to
boot the installed system from Installation CD: the root partition is not
detected and the system on it is not started (all freeze, except a
lightening cursor).

If I try to boot from Grub, installed on the MBR of the array, Win2k starts
correctly while Linux stops in a Kernel panic.

What to do to boot linux? Besides, on Suse normal installation there is no
more the chance to create a boot floppy.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Wishes,
Stefano