Re: Understanding highpoint 370 / ataraid (questions looking for answers)

Samuel Flory wrote:

>>> Yes, because in case of hardware failure this is the option which leaves
>>> you with a bootable system in case of hardware failure - AFAIK.
>>

>  Just be sure you are using lilo, and not grub.  Lilo understands md
> devices, and will install on all disk.  Grub doesn't and is very painful
> to install on all disks.

Funny - I had a promise ataraid installation that no version of lilo
could boot. Tried grub once and it worked. Since then I avoid lilo.

However, we are now talking about md devices. Unfortunately I have no
idea how grub behaves there but I heard that a new grub is able to
handle that without problems.
Testing grub is always easy. Simply use a grub boot floppy from
somewhere and try to boot your kernel from there. If it works, it also
should when installing grub to harddisk.

Carl-Daniel