Using promise driver

Has anybody had sucess in using promise's generic driver, ie, compile it for using with a custom kernel? As my previous messages said I'm trying to use kernels softwaraid for promise feature (with an onboard 20265 controler - fasttrak100 lite), but until now without success. Then I tried to use the driver that is avaiable at promise's website.
I was able to compile it and copy the generated FastTrak.o module to /lib/modules/2.4.21-rc1/kernel/drivers/scsi; Then I changed lilo.conf to mount root on /dev/sda3 and put an append line, as described in the readme that came with the driver sources. But when I reboot my system I get the following messages:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: cannot open root device "803" or 08:03

I get no message from fasttrak driver initialization, what I'm missing? (BTW I installed RedHat 8 using also a driver from promise and it worked fine).

Thanks,

Tiago Gehring
tiagogehring@xxxxxxxxxxxx