Problems installing RedHat on Intel S845WD1-E (PDC20267)

I am working with the same type of situation as mentioned here.  The
following is what I am trying to have done.

- 2 drives are in the system and both connected to the promise controller.
- hardware mirroring is desired to be used.
- distribution is 7.2 updated with all errata and a custom boot kernel built
with the latest kernel to fit it on to a single floppy with network drivers.

Initially, I tried creating the mirror first in the promise bios and then
doing the redhat install (via kickstart in my case).  This did not succeed.
The install would go fine, hde and hdg would show up, but it seemed to be
using the drives independantly.  Samuel Flory suggested creating 2 arrays of
a single drive each.  So, I deleted the mirror array and created 2 stripe
arrays, one drive per array.  Ran the kickstart again and the system
installed and would boot.  However, the mounted partitions are on both disks
(hde and hdg) according to mount output.

In the kickstart, the partitions were created as follows:

clearpart --all
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=32
part / --fstype ext3 --size=512
part /usr --fstype ext3 --size=1024
part /var --fstype ext3 --size=1024 --grow
part /httpd --fstype ext3 --size=512
part /home --fstype ext3 --size=256
part /tmp --fstype ext3 --size=512
part swap --size=1024

Seemingly, this would put all the partitions on hde, shouldn't it?  I am
confused as to why mount shows them on e and g... as well as about a few
things.  One, how do I get my mirrored raid set up?  Do I just delete the 2
defined stripe arrays and create the mirrored array (after the install)
using the hde drive as the source?  Is there anything else that has to be
done?

Also, a few other questions.  How do you know if the kernel is using ataraid
or not (I built it into the kernel).  The major and minor numbers for
/dev/hd{eg} are different than /dev/ataraid/d?, is there some sort of
conversion that needs to be done in this case?  I checked the ata-raid howto
but that didn't seem to make much sense.  My drives are always recognized as
hd{eg}, never as sd? drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/tmy