RE: Can't get Promise PDC20276 to go with ataraid

> I've had a look in /proc/pci and the raid controller is indeed
> sharing interrupts with the onboard network controller and the
> onboard usb. I can't find anywhere in the bios to change the
> assigned IRQs, or disable the internal devices. Any suggestions
> on how I might do this ? (I've just flashed to the latest BIOS
> version and that doesn't help)

In my ASUS board I can select if the BIOS should automatically assign IRQs
to cards in PCI slots, or to assign a fixed IRQ for each PCI slot. Search
for this kind of thing in your bios. I simply disabled the problematic
device since I don't use it anyway :)

> I tried removing the ide0 and ide1 entries, but that doesn't seem to
> change anything (kernel still panics). I notice that you specify the
> IRQ number in your append line. Is this necessary/good or not?

Yes, it is necessary - at least according to the Promise driver's README and
the ATARAID-HOWTO

> Also, newbie question, I'd like to send the output of from the kernel
> before it panics to the list. How do I capture the text?

I have no idea -- I'm not far from newbie level myself :-) you could check
what was written to /var/log/messages -- maybe it's there.

Alon.