Going from Promise module to ataraid module

I've run into a little snag here.  I am running Redhat 7.1 with 2.4.2 kernel
and it is installed on the RAID mirror image.  In an effort to rid myself of
Promise's restrictive driver, I have attempted to do an installation of
2.4.18 by enabling the proper options in the kernel (following what was
posted here http://www.magic-lamp.org/howto/pdc20265-mandrake8.2.phtml).  I
have added the lilo entry for the new kernel with the
root="/dev/ataraid/d0p8" (my root is on sda8 with ft.o)line for the new
kernel.  I also changed the fstab entries to point to the proper
/dev/ataraid/d0p* entries.  However, when rebooting into the new kernel, I
get a "kernel panic unable to mount root partition" error.  By all accounts
this should work.  It is really important that I get this working, as 2.4.2
is an archaic kernel with known holes.  I must be missing an important piece
of information to completely rid myself of the dependence on ft.o...  If
anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
--
--Eric Miller