HPT370 - comparsion GPL & /GPL driver (long)

Hi all !

I got message about new linux hpt drivers from HighPoint Technologies. I probed it and
compared with GPL kernel driver. This results maybe are interested for other users.

HW
===
MB :		MSI6163Pro (Intel BX chipset)
CPU :		PIII750@1000 (FSB 100->133, stable)
RAM :		2x 256 MiB SIMM, 133 MHz
ATARaid :	PCI card with HPT370 chip, BIOS 2.3
HDD :		2x ST360020A (Seagate 60 GB, 5400 rpm) as RAID0

SW
===
linux RH7.2 + some updates
kernel 2.4.18-0.21 (from RH Rawhide) self compiled

On this RAID0 array I have two partitions - one with ext3, second with fat32. I probed
throughput with this commands :

Writing :
-----------
time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/.../test.xxx bs=1048576 count=1024

This command writes on array file with 1GiB size.

Reading :
-------------
time dd if=/mnt/.../test.xxx of=/dev/null

This command reads the same file (1 GiB too).

Test was made in single mode (init 1). Driver "HPT" is "source" driver from HPT version
2.3 compiled for used kernel. Driver "GPL" is build-in driver from kernel version 0.0.1
(I hope). Measured time is result "time.." command and described real | user | sys
portion. Test was made for VFAT (fat32), EXT3 and EXT2 (partition manualy mounted
with ".. -t ext2..." option. Maesurment was made minimaly three times for eliminating
write cache etc. Results are minimal maesured times.

RESULTS :
=========

a) EXT3 filesystem
	a1) GPL driver
		a1w) writing
			36.88  |  0.00  |  10.76
		a1r) reading
			18.88  |  1.77  |  5.19

	a2) HPT driver
		a2w) writing
			46.23  |  0.01  |  9.92
		a2r) reading
			30.13  |  1.92  |  4.32

b) EXT2 filesystem
	b1) GPL driver
		b1w) writing
			35.98  |  0.02  |  8.30
		b1r) reading
			18.74  |  1.81  |  5.10

	b2) HPT driver
		b2w) writing
			39.10  |  0.01  |  6.39
		b2r) reading
			28.05  |  1.85  |  4.36

c) VFAT filesystem
	c1) GPL driver
		c1w) writing
			36.51  |  0.01  |  9.76
		c1r) reading
			33.08  |  1.94  |  13.88

	c2) HPT driver
		c2w) writing
			37.94  |  0.01  |  6.42
		c2r) reading
			27.93  |  1.80  |  4.31

Recapitulation :
============
Driver for Riva chip on VGA cards made better with driver from HW manufacturer. This
fact is expectable - manufacturer has detailed information about own product.

But this fact don't hold for HPT chip. Drivers from HighPoint Technologies with binary
module (nonGPL) is very slow. Diferences between nonGPL and GPL driver is about
8 / 20 % (writing on ext2 / ext3 filesystems) and even 23 / 38 % (reading ext2/3) !!
Work with vfat filesystem is comparable - GPL is about 4 % faster on writing, nonGPL is
about 16 % faster on reading.

Driver HPT is little better for less system load - especialy on ext2 writing and distinct on
both vfat work.

Worse results maybe cause bad hdd settings. Works hdd with DMA ? With multiple IO ?
I don't know. And here is no way to set up it - due hpt driver compilation was eliminate
kernel support for HPT chips whereas with GPL driver I can set up parameteres wia
/dev/hde and hdg devices.

I thing that this results can be useful for another user ATARaid on HPT chips. If
someone compares ext2(3) and another filesystems (e.g. RaiserFS ..) or made similar
comparsion for new chips (e.g. HPT372), I will very grateful.

Miroslav BENES
system administrator
TENEZ a.s.
Chotebor