Re: I'm out of things to try, maybe someone can help ...

I do this within my lilo.conf (adjust numbers for your disk!)

===========/etc/lilo.conf=======================
disk=/dev/ataraid/d0
  # BIOS knows /dev/ataraid/d0 as C:
  bios=0x80
  # These strange numbers are from "fdisk -lu /dev/ataraid/d0"
  sectors=63
  heads=255
  cylinders=1216
  partition=/dev/ataraid/d0p1