Re: why ataraid at all?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:50:56AM -0500, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 02:20:53AM -0500, Marc Horowitz wrote:
> > I've read the last few months of posts, and I'm still confused about
> > something.
> >
> > If chipsets such as the Promise PDC20265 and Highpoint HPT372 are just
> > extra IDE controllers, is the *only* reason for the special linux
> > support to be able to share arrays with windows?
>
> Basically yes. The only other nice thing is being able to boot from it.
> >
> > And the $64,000 question (or maybe the $50 question :-) If I'm not
> > going to run windows on a machine, is there any reason to get a
> > motherboard with a "RAID" controller?  The only reason I can think of
> > is the extra IDE channels; if I do get a RAID board for this reason,
> > is there any reason not to use /dev/mdX?
>
> I personally prefer md because it avoids a fundamental issue
> with performance (ataraid needs to some requests up due to the offset it
> gets from the partition table; md never has to "abuse" requets)

Is it safe to run a mix of ataraid and md?

My test system is as such:

1 set of raid1 drives configured in BIOS so that I can boot from them

HOWEVER, once the system comes up, I use linux software RAID without the
ataraid/pdcraid drivers loaded

when I want to write a LILO record, I modprobe pdcraid and use
disk=/dev/ataraid/d0 in my lilo.conf.  After LILO stops, I remove the
pdcraid/ataraid modules and never use them again.

..and I'm using the kernel support for the Promise chipset to handle the IDE
controller itself.

thoughts?
john R