Re: FastTrack TX2 + Kernel 2.4.17

First and foremost, Arjan's drivers do not yet provide the fault tolerance
that is the point of using RAID1.

I encountered similar (LI 01 01 01 01 01 01...) problems when trying to
boot from a RAID0 array on a highpoint controller.  After an unbelievable
amount of time, effort, and some black magic, I finally got it to work.
I installed the latest version of lilo and the latest highpoint bios by
getting a hacked motherboard bios from biosmods.com (since it was an
onboard controller).  I made a boot CD with a custom compiled kernel that
included the approprate drivers, and booted from it.  Finally, in
lilo.conf I had to explicitly specify where I wanted lilo to write by
including:

disk = /dev/ataraid/d0
  bios = 0x80

The only reason to use this highpoint/promise software RAID thing is so
that you can boot off a RAID0 disk array.  You will also then be able to
use that same array in Windows.  If you aren't BOOTING from a SINGLE RAID0
(striping) array, then save yourself some effort and use the linux md
drivers.  Plus, ** it is completely impossible to construct a BOOTABLE,
FAULT TOLERANT 0+1 array **.  If only Arjan's drivers would recognise more
than one RAID0 array, then it might be possible to run linux md overtop of
ataraid since linux md RAID1 IS fault tolerant and lilo supports booting
off a linux md RAID1 array (and the ataraid drivers make the underlying
RAID0 arrays appear to be single disks).

You might be able to do 0+1 with the closed source drivers, but then you
can't use a self compiled kernel.

Its too bad there aren't more developers on this.  If I was more of a code
monkey I would love to help out.

Scott Bartlett

Motherboards: Abit KT7-RAID and KG7-RAID, HPT370 / HPT370A