Re:SuSE

Hi Christian,

I wrote this a little earlier:
----------------------------------
Seems like many people are trying the same as me, so here a summary:

Config:
MSI K7T266R with onboard Promise FastTrak lite ATA-RAID
2x 40GB IBM UDMA100 as RAID 0
Athlon 1 GHz
etc...

SUSE 7.2 (OKok, I'm no RedHat, but I have used your kindly supplied
drivers)

Problem: How to install the system in a RAID partition and boot from it.

[...]

What I have done:
- Installed a minimal system on an idle third disk; the ugly part of it
- you need a temporary space to put your system. The problem is
obviously how to put a bootable system together, from where you can
continue the installation with an installation routine that doesn't
support your hardware - mounting part of the array as single disk and
part of it as raid creates some VERY strange behaviour (I have tried to
move a small partition for installation to the very end of /dev/hde and
then install to RAID partitions at the beginning of the disks - no way).
Hence the third disk
- Got Kernel 2.4.9 and patched it with ac14
- Compiled RAID support for Promise in (will probably also work for
Highpoint)
- booted the new kernel - now the system recognizes the array at boot
time and can mount it directly
- partitioned and formatted the array for my new system
- copied the system as was onto the new partitions
- copied the kernel on a floppy and booted from Win98 using loadlin -
FROM THE ARRAY NOW (root device = /dev/ataraid/d0p*)
- removed the third disk from the system.
- installed the rest of the system with very nice disk performance :-))

- VOILA

The whole thing is a little shaky (always make sure to keep a working
kernel when you play around with new compilations) and I am still using
loadlin to boot, since LILO doesn't like the /dev/ataraid. Next step
will be patching LILO, but loadlin with a bootmenu under Win98 is
working fine for the moment.

A more elegant way would be to take the SUSE (or RedHat for that matter)
installation boot-disk, unpack the ramdisk image, build a new one with
the new kernel, put everything back together, boot and install from that
disk. What I don't know is, how the part of the installation system that
resides on the CD will react to that boot-disk.

Any volunteers to try that? ;-))

I have just done the same thing with SuSE 7.3. Some comments, though:
- replace kernel 2.4.9 with 2.4.17
- patched and installed LILO
-One thing, that happened to me with reiserfs: while copying my system
to the
array with cpio, all files on the reiserfs / were there and readable,
but not executable had to do it again with cp. cpio worked fine for
ext2.

Hope, this helps!!

	Stephan