convert Promise RAID to Linux RAID

Hello!
I'd like to know if it's possible to convert an existing Promise RAID 0 Array to Linux Software RAID.
So far I've used the binary Promise driver, but because I want to build my own kernel theese modules are @$!"0. Right now I'm trying to boot the array using the ATARAID kernel options in 2.4.16, doesn't wok yet, but I forgot some options. While trying this I found out that the ATARAID help page says something like use this only for compatibility, because Linux software RAID is much better. Because Linux is the only System on this computer, I would like the change, but I've got 2x40GB of Data on the Disks, so I'd like to keep my data on the disks.
Do you know if it's possible to accomplish theese changes with some minor modifications in the boot sectors or something like that, or is it absolutely necessary to reinstall my whole array?

Thanx,
 Martin

P.S.: Please write me back to my address, for I'm not subscribed to the list.