Re: Instaling RH7.2 in a win98 system

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 13:21, Luis Soeiro wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to install RH7.2 to a Abit-KG7-Raid MB with 2 80GB HDs in Raid-0
> mode (using the HPT370 chipset). Unfortunately, I had no luck yet.
>
> Do you know what I can do to create a bootable floppy to start the
> instalation? The Highpoint drivers don't work with RH7.2.I already have a
> partition in Raid array set aside for RH7.2, but I just can't figure out
> what to do.
>
> Erhhh, I'm also very new to Linux. I used to play with Slackware a few
> _ages_ ago, but you didn't have to worry very much about different hardware.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Luis Fernando

Sorry, it is currently impossible to install Red Hat Linux directly off
of the CD, even with a driver floppy disk.  Some people have managed to
make a custom kernel floppy disk, but this is extremely difficult and I
cannot recommend this for new users.

The only method that I've managed to make it work is with an extra
non-RAID hard drive.  I installed RH 7.2 onto that disk, recompiled my
kernel with the ATARAID and Promise (in your case HPT) driver in the
kernel, then copied Linux onto the RAID array.  GRUB should be able to
boot it directly off the array, but I have been unsuccessful in this
regard.  I ended up using the patched LILO at
http://ataraid.slimyhorror.com.