Re: RH 7.2 and TX4

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:56:45AM -0500,
John Burton wrote:

<snip>
> Finally had to resort to 2 Promise Ultra100TX2 cards and 1
> Ultra100 card (3 Ultra 100 TX2 cards gave me results similar
> to what you were seeing - one card would drop to PIO mode and
> *slow* transfers). I would also get DMA and CRC errors on the
> slow card.  (Yes, I've already checked the drives, and all 6
> 100GB drives worked fine with the SuperTrak 100 when I had it
> working in the test machine and they work fine with the 2
> Ultra100TX2 and 1 Ultra100 card combination) . Seems to be a
> BIOS limitation in the Ultra100tx2 (and Fastrak 100tx2 which
> is essentially the same card?). The Ultra100tx2 BIOS displays
> one screen for all 3 cards, but only detects 4 drives (6 were
> connected). When I had the Ultra 100 installed, it would
> display a seperate BIOS screen showing the two drives attached
> to it.

We've experienced precisely the same symptoms, right down to the
DMA and CRC errors on the drives connected to the third
Ultra100TX2 card.  Like you, we've also moved everything around
to track down the source of the problem, and it's definitely the
third card.

Two Promise Ultra100TX2s; that's all.

(I'm responding to these messages today because we're messing
around with Promise cards right now ourselves, and I was just
looking through various mail archives for other people's
experiences.  This isn't exactly the list for it, but... ehn.)

Andrew Klaassen