Re: RH 7.2 and Promise Fastrak RAID

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 07:06, Aaron Gee wrote:

> I was able to install RH 7.2 on a brand new box by disconnecting the raid
> card during the install.  Since I am using RAID 0 (striping) for performance
> reasons I had planned to simply plug the card back in, do an insmod and then
> format the partition.......BUT that would be too easy wouldn't it!
>
> My problem is that during boot the kernel sees the 2 drives on the RAID card
> separately (even though I built a RAID0 with the FASTRAK bios)  Even if I
> insmod the proper modules, it still doesn't see them as a single "drive"

This is an inherent quirk of Promise and High Point ATA RAID.  Even
though ataraid.o and pdcraid.o (or hptraid.o) modules are inserted,
those devices are still detected.  The combined RAID array is not on
those device names, so you should just ignore them.  Do not attempt to
format or use those disks directly because it will destroy your RAID 0
array.

IIRC, there is some way of passing IDE kernel options that will hide
direct access to these disks.  Does anyone know those options?

The combined striped array can be accessible at /dev/ataraid/d0.  Use
"fdisk /dev/ataraid/d0" after inserting the modules.  After
partitioning, the partitions are accessible through /dev/ataraid/d0p1,
the "p" number incrementing for each partition.

> My thought is that if I can get the modules to load on boot then I wouldn't
> have this problem (I hope)  Any body have some suggestions?  Are there
> special options I need to add to my /etc/modules.conf to get the modules to
> load on boot correctly?  Any one have a sample line from their
> /etc/modules.conf that works with RH7.2 ?
>
> TIA
> Aaron

I haven't been able to make bootable ATARAID array with ataraid and
pdcraid as modules, although I was probably doing something wrong.  I'm
currently using Linus tree 2.4.15pre2 with those drivers compiled into
the kernel.  This is the first official Linus kernel to support ext3
without patching.

Be aware that if you want to boot from the ATARAID array, you must be
using GRUB or an ATARAID aware patched LILO.  I fought GRUB for nearly 8
hours, gave up and used the patched LILO from this site.
http://ataraid.slimyhorror.com

(I would very much appreciate a step by step guide on installing GRUB on
ATARAID.  I followed tips posted on this mailing list a few weeks ago
and it just didn't work.)

Warren Togami
warren@xxxxxxxxxx