Re: Promise FastTrak 100 RedHat 7.1 install and boot details (Adam McKay )

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam McKay" <adam71001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <i_dirkov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: Promise FastTrak 100 RedHat 7.1 install and boot details (Adam
McKay )

> Well, let me start by suggesting you install RedHat 7.2, which apparently
> works out of the box on hpt370 and promise devices.  For the driver disk,
> use the one Helge Lenz posted earlier:
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0002235/ataraid/rh7.2/
> Just use a DOS/Windows formatted floppy and copy the files onto the disk
as
> they appear on Helge's site.  I haven't used this method myself as the
only
> box I had with a Promise driver is now sitting in a colo rack.  There seem
> to be some conflicting reports as to whether or not it works with the
actual
> release version of 7.2, but I'm sure any problems will be worked out
rather
> quickly.

Helge Lenz's driver at that URL is only for the HPT370.  I used his same
method and added Promise FastTrak functionality to my driver disk.  The Red
Hat installer recognized the driver as valid and properly loaded pdcraid and
ataraid modules, but the RH 7.2 installer itself does not recognize the
ataraid device and gives you no option to install it there.  Read this
thread and the follow up replies for details.

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ataraid-list/2001-October/000305.html

I believe only the pcitable, modules.dep and modinfo of RH 7.2 does not
contain info about the proper kernel modules, although the distro itself
contains the modules and /dev/ataraid nodes.  I'm saddened that the
distribution comes so close to "out of the box" functionality.

Has anyone managed to make a working system directly from the RH 7.2
installer, with or w/o any driver disk?

The only way I've managed to make a working system is by installing RH 7.2
onto a non-RAID hard drive, compiling a kernel and copying everything to the
array.  I have not managed to get GRUB working in this configuration, but
the patched LILO at http://ataraid.slimyhorror.com works for me.

Another question: Has anyone made a kernel + initrd boot?  I only have
managed to make a monolithic kernel boot (with ataraid and pdcraid compiled
into bzImage itself).