Re: RH 7.2

Warren Togami wrote:

How difficult would it be to use the same process to make a driver disk for
Promise?  Do you know where I can find documentation on making a driver
disk?

How does your installation boot?  Red Hat's LILO wont do it without
patching.  GRUB?

Thanks,
Warren Togami
warren@xxxxxxxxxx

It is not very hard, the trickiest way was to build the modules.cgz, because I couldn´t find any informations about that, but it is easy if you know how to do it...
modinfo: just write what you want...
modules.dep: "pdcraid: ataraid" (not very tricky, eh???)
pcitable: I don´t know if you realy need this, but I took the values from /proc/pci and put it in there. Should be no problem to find the values for your promise controller, I just deinstalled my...
rhdd-6.1: no idea what is in here, I just copied it from the closed source hpt driver disk.
modules.cgz: tricky...
- make the modules with the ataraid-source and the kernel-source from the 2nd cd. Or just use the one I will upload in a few minutes...
- make a directory named 2.4.12-10BOOT (the kernelversion from the installation disk) and copy the modules to this directory
- do a "find 2.4.12-10BOOT > list" from the directory where 2.4.12-10BOOT is located
- do a "cpio -o -H crc <list >modules.cpio" to copy the directories to an archive
- do a gzip -c modules.cpio > modules.cgz to make the compressed cpio-archive

Now copy the files to a fat (sorry, I was wrong in my posting above...) formatted floppy and it should work...
Booting from the array should be no problem if you have a initrd.img with your drivers because Redhat 7.2 uses GRUB by default.

Greetings Helge.