HPT370 - so close!

Managed to get a fresh RH 7.1 system (based on the binary @$#%! from
Highpoint) to compile a 2.4.10 kernel with the ataraid patche.  Specs are:

1 x Abit KT7A-RAID
1 x 1.33Ghz Athlon CPU
3 x 256Mb 150Mhz SDRAM
2 x 45Gb IBM-DTLA-307045 (configured as RAID-0)
1 x GeForce 2 Ultra
1 x ne2k-pci
1 x Creative SBLive 5.1

Made an initrd that included & insmod'ed ide-disk.o, ataraid.o & hptraid.o.

Lilo the new kernel, reboot, looking good...ata initialization messages
appearing..."Welcome to Red Hat..."...aaaaahhh: kernel panic!!!

Reboot, this time stops dead in its tracks in middle of boot...

Reboot, this time kernel panic again....

Reboot, reboot, reboot - each time make it to a different point in boot
process and either stops dead in its tracks or gives a kernel panic dump.

Question is, how do I give you more information to assist in diagnosis?  I
imagine the only way to save the kernel boot messages is via a serial
connection...I have other boxes available for logging, a pointer to a HOWTO on
debugging kernel startup would be great (ok, I will look for it also)...

Thanks for your efforts in producing an open driver for this hardware.  I was
most disappointed to learn that Highpoint had released binary-only kits.
Hopefully I can offer my platform as an test bed for your continued
development!

--
Dardo D. Kleiner
Connection Machine Facility, Center for Computational Sciences