devfs + ataraid

OK, I think I realized what my problem is, however this leads to another
problem.  I am having problems mounting my root fs on /dev/ataraid/d0p2
because I need to have /dev.  However, from what I've been reading, I should
be able to use devfs and make this work so I don't have to go creating a
ramdisk.  Is this correct?  If so, how do I make devfs work to accomplish
what I wish to do?  I am not sure that if I get devfs working that my array
will be listed as it was under my old /dev, ie will /dev/ataraid/d0* exist?
Or will I have to use /dev/ide/* or something of that nature?  Also, are
there any special instructions on making this work with debian? (Just want
to cover all of my questions now so I don't get stuck again.)  Any other
suggestions on making a configuration such as /boot->/dev/hda5  &
/->/dev/ataraid/d0p2 under devfs?

By the way, I can handle compiling it into the kernel with no problem, I'm
just not sure what other deps must be met in terms of configuration or
appends to lilo with / (root) being on a RAID0 array.

Thanks!