Re: Kernel Compile

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:03:22PM +1000, Steve Elliott wrote:
> G'day from Australia,
> I have a promise fastrak 100, and 4 60 gig disk drives.
> Currently i have several of these boxes configured as raid 0 with stock
> red hat 7.1
>
> I performed the install following the doc on
> http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/promisehowtorh71/2.shtml

Ah that's the propriatry, closed source Promise module.

> Now if  i want to compile my own kernels ( i require firewire support ),
> every time i compile and reconfigure the system for the new kernel, when
> the machine reboots it does not see the raid and will not boot.

Well the promise binary only driver only works for one exact kernel....
You might want to ask your question to Promise as they are the only ones who
can provide a driver for your recompiled kernel.

> As i am a fledgling in the world of kernel compiles, i require some
> advices as to how i can compile my own kernel and still get the system
> to boot from the raid ? I did have a play with initrd etc but to no
> avail. :(

If you have raid0 and use grub (not lilo) you can probably get this to work
using the GPL driver (which has the goal of working for all 2.4 kernels).
(the GPL driver can be found at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/pdcraid )